Plex Support?

I know this is all new, but because of that I think it would be a great time to see if you can work with Plex so that it's an easy implementation!  It would be the greatest update Plex has ever made to their application, and I know that so many of us would love/use it!

If there is anything I can do on my end to help this process progress and go smoothly please let me know.  I have since uploaded a "Feature Request" on Plex's forums here

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ammonrose said:

Oh I didn’t know he went to Plex. You’d think that give us a better chance! Maybe Matt could ask and see. The answer’s always no unless we ask, right?

What really is there to gain with plex? Can they even use the PreShow code. Who actually owns it? 

I only use plex to access my library outside of my house, but at that time i don't want preshow interaction.

I guess for the capability of your server being located offsite. 

I personally don't see a huge overlap with the average user of plex and the average user of preshow

That's just me though. If getting bought by plex helps anyone out, just remember my dev self over here 😆 

From my understanding, Kodi can only support Dolby Vision if it's an mp4 format.  All of my media is in mkv so I don't get the full experience yet.  Also, I don't like that I have to use Kodi and Plex when I could just be using one without having to switch back and forth.  I don't use Kodi unless I want to do the PreShow Experience, and all other times I'm using Plex.  I like it's interface a lot more, and to show my bias a little, I have been with Plex for many years so I'm just used to using their platform more than Kodi's.

With all the pros and cons aside, I am grateful that there are people out there willing to create something like the PreShow Experience, even if it's only available on certain platforms.  I know it's a lot of work.

Edited by ammonrose

• PreShow Supporter

Dolby Vision is supported in Kodi 21 Omega, but only if your device already supports DV, such as the nVidia Shield. Omega is in the alpha stage currently and a long way off from release, but it works surprisingly well. You can also install something like the Kodi Maven build of 20 Nexus, which has DV support backported.  Both support DV in MKV. I'm running both on the Shield (Maven's build installs alongside Kodi's official build).

https://repo.kodinerds.net/index.php?action=list&scope=cat&item=Binary (arm64-v8a)

Get the one in the middle, remove ".zip" from the filename and sideload. You'll have to rescan your DV media into your Kodi library.

Edited by MidnightWatcher
  • Thanks 1