What are your favorite Double Feature

• Administrator

When I was a kid, my parents had a blacked out room with a massive 35-40" TV.  I would invite friends over and would ask them to bring a rented VHS tape over and we'd watch that, along with something that I selected.

One time I put on one of my favorite movies, The Road Warrior.

As we were watching it, my buddy kept saying that it reminded him so much of his movie and he thought that maybe the same actor played the main character in both movies.  And then we put on his favorite movie: Mad Max.

We were young and there wasn't an internet for us to learn about movies, so we had no idea that they were sequels.  We obviously became best friends after.  

I've always loved having double features for my movie nights.  Is that something that you do?  I spend a lot of time trying to find short films, commercials and other content to set the appropriate mood for the movies. 

My double features may be by the same director, have an actor in common, or have some sort of shared bond in theme, time period or setting.

I would love to hear some movies that you think work well together as a double feature.  Here are the rules:

• Post 2 movies with trailers and explain why they work well together.  
  • Unlike my accental example, don't use sequels.  

I look forward to seeing what you think are great double features.

So 1999 was a good year for films with one of my all-time celebrity crushes, Saffron Burrows.

March brought us a movie many despise and that I love - Wing Commander.

And then July brought us Deep Blue Sea, one of my favourite shark movies.

I can watch these movies back-to-back multiple times a year even 25 years later.

Edited by Polargeek
fix video

• Administrator

@Polargeek Nice.  Thanks for posting those PG.

I remember seeing Deep Blue Sea in the theater.  For whatever reason, I decided I wanted to make a day out of dinner and a movie.  We went to breakfast and a 10am showing of The 6th Sense in 1 city.  

We then drove to another city where we had lunch and saw Detroit Rock City. 

And then we drove to a city in a different state for dinner and saw the final showing of Deep Blue Sea.

I think we did something else in each city, but 25 years later I couldn't say what that was.  But I do remember seeing all 3 of those films in the same day.  I think matinees were like $3-5 and the evening show was $5-7.  I don't know if I could afford to do that now. 😉

• PreShow Supporter

Following the @Polargeek theme of movies I can watch repeatedly. (your choices are great movies btw)

First is a typical 80's raunchy teen movie, The Last American Virgin, that most people have not heard of. It seems to have flown under the radar. I wont spoil the movie(for those that haven't seen it) but you will understand why I like it by the end. Great music also, being a teen through the 80's was awesome!

The second is Christine. Great movie but differs wildly from the book. I could watch this on repeat. LOL