Question about resolution for slides

I'm getting ready to fully generate my Oscar slides. My version of Canva (free) is limited to generate at 1380x760 but I am considering upgrading to save them at a higher resolution. I'm not sure what resolution to save at, so I wanted to get some input on that.

Also, since this has been a labor of love, I am considering using an online file resizer for free but I wasn't sure about quality of that vs exporting them from Canva at the higher resolution....

All total we're looking at approximately 500 slides covering Best Actor, Best Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, and Best picture winners from the very first Oscars to 2022.

I attached some examples (using dummy data on the example because I was working on mock-ups)

My next project is going to be movie quotes slides but I'm struggling determining how to format those.

Also a word of caution for anyone who wants to create slides: DON'T TRUST WIKIPEDIA OR AI - Neither one of them provided accurate information for Oscars data. I was cross checking my AI generated data and discovered HUGE glaring issues including years, winners names, etc. I ended up going straight to the Oscars website to get accurate information, even though it required more manual work on my side.

2SupportingActor1936.jpg

bestactress1934.jpg

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't generate new slides at a resolution less than 1920x1080.  I wish I could have created all my old slides at a higher resolution and exported them at 1080p. Because now I could re-export at 1440p or 4K 
At 1080p they don't look bad on a 4K display, but depending on the source material many of my old 480p and 720p slides look awful.  

So basically I'd create anything new at the highest possible resolution based on available source material and then export at the resolution of my display but keep the originals to update later at a higher resolution.

Also, most free upscaling tools I've tried have done a pretty poor job at it, but your mileage may vary.

Edited by Polargeek
poor spelling and clarity
  • Like 2

• Administrator

I agree with everything @Polargeeksaid.  I do everything at a higher resolution, and would generally suggest 4k.

I just signed up for Canva and don't see a limitation for that resolution.  I'm not sure if I did something different or am on a different system or what. 

Also, the images that you attached are 1200x661.  I bring that up because they aren't 16x9.   I'm not sure if that's related to how you saved the image or something with your template.

42 minutes ago, Matt said:

I agree with everything @Polargeeksaid.  I do everything at a higher resolution, and would generally suggest 4k.

I just signed up for Canva and don't see a limitation for that resolution.  I'm not sure if I did something different or am on a different system or what. 

Also, the images that you attached are 1200x661.  I bring that up because they aren't 16x9.   I'm not sure if that's related to how you saved the image or something with your template.

That is odd.... I'm in the free version and it shows my save options as this:

So I assumed that my image was 1380x760.

Edit: I just checked the images I uploaded to the forum, and they are showing 1380x760 on my computer. Maybe the forum re-sized them to fit in the message?

image.png.9ab5bcb2c2d6e41565f8ed854f0f2898.png

Edited by starslayer74
Updated information